What is Google Keyword planner?
If you are not already familiar with it, Google Keyword planner is a free keyword tool which you can use to research and discover new keywords for your website. On Google Keyword planner, you can also see the estimated monthly search volume and how much it would cost to target them.
Although Google keyword planner was created with paid advertising and PPC in mind, it can be an extremely effective tool to use for your SEO strategy. Google Ads Keyword planner can help you identify useful words for blog post topics and help boost search engine rankings.
How to use Google Keyword Planner
Step 1: Create a Google Ads account
Before you start to conduct keyword research on Google Keyword planner, you will need to have a Google account. Once you have created a Google account, go to the Google Ads homepage and click Start Now. You will then need to select your Google account to sign in.
Step 2: Access Google keyword planner
To open Google Keyword planner, go to Tools and Settings in the top right corner. A drop down menu will then appear and you will be able to see Keyword Planner under Planning.
After you have clicked on Keyword Planner, there will be two options to choose from:
- Discover new keywords– This is where you can type in keywords, and get new keyword ideas which you can then use to increase website traffic.
- Get search volume and forecasts– This option allows you to find out the historical trend, search volume and future forecast for a list of keywords.
Using the ‘Discover new keywords’ option
When you are using the keyword planner, you will want to type in one or more seeding words to find similar keywords with high search volume. For example if your business sells women’s handbags, you will want your keyword to be “women’s handbags”.
Once you click on ‘Get Results’, you will see a list of keywords with different columns. If you want to see the Avg. Monthly Searches sorted from highest to lowest, click on the “Avg. monthly searches” column.
You will find lots of useful data in the Keyword Planner. One of the most important for Ads and SEO is the search volume. For example, if keywords show a search volume of 100K-1M. This is a very high range. Another useful metric of Google Keyword Planner is competition. This represents how difficult it will be to get an ad placement if you were to use that certain keyword. In contrast to this, you can use it as a basic metric to see the competition for organic search.
How to choose keywords using Google Keyword Planner
Choosing effective keywords can be hard, but it is an integral step making your SEO strategy successful and increasing organic traffic numbers. There are a few steps you can take to choosing the best keywords for your business and website.
Keyword selection key practices:
- Choose a variety of keywords which are both in the high and low competitive category: This is because it will take you longer to rank for the higher competitive keywords over the less competitive ones (meaning you may be able to rank for the lesser competitive ones sooner).
- Search using a variety of seed words: Use a variety of different seed words to find a larger variety of keywords for content.
- Don’t ignore words with lower search volume: Of course you will want to reach a high volume of customers straight away, but organic traffic isn’t the only type of traffic you will get. You can use the keyword which you find as content for things such as newsletters, or social media.
If you are looking for help with your businesses Google Ads or wanting to improve your organic results, Our Digital Team can help. We have years of experience with Google Ads and Google Keyword Planner and know how to create an effective strategy to target your customers.
How Our Digital Team can help:
Our Digital Team are qualified marketing experts with 25 years experience in the industry. We specialise in producing creative content that engages your target audience and have exceptional technical skills so we can optimise the reach of each social media advert to the fullest.
Initially we can discuss our services and how we could help your business with a free 15 minute consultation. From this point we will design a tailored strategy focused on achieving your goals through actionable steps to create an effective social media advertising campaign.
Our team of social media marketing specialists are experts in content creation. We create unique social media marketing strategies that deliver measurable results. Firstly, we’ll identify who your customers are so we can create a strategy that will best reach them.
To learn more about our social media advertising services, contact us and receive a free 15 minute consultation to discuss your business needs and how we can help.